Now that all my kids can eat cheese, we’ve started making pizza together at least every other week. My kids love patting out the dough and adding the toppings themselves. I love how excited they are to help in the kitchen and to eat their dinner!
I try to make it easy by making a double batch of pizza dough and freezing half, making a big batch of pizza sauce and freezing it in quart bags, and buying large bags of shredded cheese and freezing in quart bags so that most pizza nights, I just have to remember to get everything out of the freezer, and we can put the pizza together in 30 minutes or less.
Here is my recipe for homemade pizza sauce. Feel free to adjust herbs and spices to taste- it’s not an exact science. =)
Homemade Pizza Sauce
Makes at least 1 quart
- 2- 15 oz cans tomato puree or diced tomatoes, pureed
- 1- 10 oz can tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped, or 6 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 Tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped, or 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin, squash, or sweet potato (optional- it helps cut the acidity)
- Blend all ingredients thoroughly using a blender or immersion blender.
- Use immediately or freeze in small containers or quart bags.